Swagbucks ReviewSwagbucks Review

Name: Swagbucks.com
Website: http://www.swagbucks.com
Price: Free
Owners: Josef Gorowitz, Scott Dudelson, Ron Leshem, Eron Zehavi
Overall Rank:  74 out of 100

The Product

Swagbucks is an online reward program that grants users varying amounts of virtual currency that can be converted to real awards. There is a number of ways to earn rewards including the easiest which is through the search function.

Every time that you search for anything at all, a reward is generated and the amount varies from search to search. Most people are awarded an amount that ranges from one to a thousand. The average amount awarded does tend to stay near the lower end of the spectrum.

Pros vs. Cons

Pros:

• Free to sign up for and start using
  • Earn rewards (Swagbucks) for things you are already doing.
  • More than ten ways to earn Swagbucks including games, surveys and the search feature
  • Several ways to spend your Swagbucks including gift cards at popular retailers.
  • Newly launched mobile site for use on smartphones (Apple and Android markets)
  • Signing up earns you an automatic 30 Swagbucks.

Cons:

• Rewards with the search feature are very hit or miss.
  • Very slow to build up any usable Swagbucks.
  • Gift cards are limited to only 5 of each particular type.
  • Mobile site is very limited – only a few features are available at this time. Discounts are also very limited on the mobile site.
  • Strange searches in your history can cause you to get blocked from the site.

Who is Swagbucks For?

Swagbucks is targeted for virtually everyone who is already using the computer and wants to earn rewards for things they are currently doing.

Tools and Training

Most of the functions of the Swagbucks program are straightforward and self-explanatory. The rewards program is explained in depth via video presentations and tutorials. There is no need to download anything for the home user. The mobile user simple downloads an app to their phone/tablet or other mobile device via their provider.

Support

Swagbuck owners often speak to their members via YouTube videos as well as in short videos on the website. In addition, members can contact customer service via email if there is a site issue or a question that needs to be addressed. Swagbuck members also have access to a robust community of fellow members via forums on the home site, on the Facebook page and on Twitter.

The Price

Currently, it is free to sign up for Swagbucks and to earn the rewards. The mobile feature (which is very limited) is also free at this time.

My Final Opinion on Swagbucks

Swagbucks is fun, at least at first. Playing the games is a little annoying because you are literally deluged with ads of every kind the entire time. Earning rewards is a slow process unless you are really working at it and then you can only redeem around $25 of each type of gift card that you might want. Random assignment of Swagbucks is supposed to make it more like a sweepstakes, however, don’t hold your breath for any of the really big payouts because it is unlikely to happen.

If you have a realistic expectation of this site, it is perfectly nifty. Thankfully, there are no huge claims that the site will make you rich, quickly.

Swagbucks at a Glance…

Name: Swagbucks

Website: http://www.swagbucks.com
Owners: Josef Gorowitz, Scott Dudelson, Ron Leshem, Eron Zehavi
Price: Free
Overall Scam Rank:  74 out of 100

VERDICT: LEGIT, Very Limited Earning Potential

If you are currently a member of the Swagbucks community and have had a positive or negative experiences, please leave your feedback below.  Also, if you have any questions about this review, just ask.

This scam report has been reviewed and submitted by Kyle, of WaysToAvoidScams.com.
e. kyle@waystoavoidscams.com

22 Responses to Is Swagbucks a Scam or Worthwhile Opportunity?

1. Janis says:

I love Swagbucks. In 2 years I have gotten 9 50 dollar giftcards, a hat, shoes and a blouse. Its no scam…its wonderful

• Kyle says:

That is exactly what I mean Janis. If you dedicate all this time and effort into creating a real business, you would have earned a significant amount more. Although you do actually generate income through swagbucks, there is much more opportunity if you dedicate this time an energy to creating a real business like is taught to you at Wealthy Affiliate. You can literally take any passion and turn it into a business.

2. Steve Stevenson says:

I had a huge problem with getting kicked off the surveys from them over and over, I Emailed their support about it and waited a long time for an answer. I finally got a reply about it, and they basically said “Tough crap, that’s how we do it.” And without the surveys it takes a long time to get $5, which I attained through the SwagBucks TV app on the iPhone and iPad (which had all sorts of bugs and such).

I redeemed my points for a $5 PayPal gift card, it took them 10 days to Email a $5 code for Amazon. I Emailed the support asking them to change it to what I requested, and they said no. Also, if you rack up a bunch over time to make it actually worth it at all, and then they ban your account for “cheating” when you did nothing of the sort (which I keep seeing in other forums), you did all of that for nothing. It takes a long time to rack up these points, and it’s quite frustrating at times. If they weren’t dishonest, it would be nice to make all that extra money for online purchases and such in your free time, but alas, they are dishonest, and I am canceling my account.

I am using Bing Rewards, which can make you a little over $5 a month for online purchases, just for searching stuff on their site and it’s only a short bit of time, easy, and not cheating or frustrating at all so far (I’m fairly new, about 2 months) so I would recommend it if you’re looking for this sort of thing.

• Kyle says:

Steve, not only are you part of a scheme when you are using SwagBucks, you are literally working for pennies. If you broke down what you were working for at Swagbucks, and although it can appear to be somewhat fun earning little credits here and there, it works out to be many times less than $1 per hour.

If you took this same amount of time and invested it into creating a business online (I can show you how to do this from scratch), you would be MILES ahead of where you are at now….I can assure you of that. I recommend that you check out my Getting Started guide here on my website, it will get you moving in the right direction.

It’s time that you create a real business Steve. It sounds like you have drive and work ethic, now it is a matter of understanding the process and that I can help you out with.

3. Carmen says:

Hey Kyle,

I was wondering if you heard about the Gift Hunter Club website, what do you think about it would you recommend it?

• Kyle says:

I haven’t heard about it, but it if is anything like a click to earn rewards or view to earn rewards, your time and energy could be much better utilized focused on creating an actual business online. I suggest you get started here if you are interested in building something of substance that will produce long term income for you.

4. Lisa says:

I do agree it can take some time but I work full time away from home and have a family and I have earned 25 dollars in gift cards in less than two weeks as has my friend. She has used hers for holiday gifts and I am saving mine for next year.

• Kyle says:

If only you applied this same sort of effort to an online business. You are honestly working for pennies on the dollar whereas you could be creating something of substance if you were to consider building your own niche website and starting building a business online this way Lisa. Anyone can do it and I can get you up and running with a blog for completely free.

5. Jo Ann says:

Good article. SB is very good when it works the way it should.

It is not so great when there are glitches.

It seems that when it is down for maintenance, it does not credit. You have no way of knowing it is down until you are finished.

I have gotten some good search points. I write online so I search a lot anyway. Loving the points I get every so often.

• Kyle says:

My main argument is that yes, you are working for points, but you are working for pennies on the dollar. Why wouldn’t you do something that will actually pay you and that you can actually “create and grow” (like an online business) if you are going to be investing this amount of time doing silly offers within Swagbucks. Your time can be spent much wiser elsewhere.

6. Lucy says:

It’s definitely not something you can quit your job for; but its very helpful. Yes, you have to sit and do stupid repetitive surveys, but I’ve been a member for 3 months now and have been able to earn £30 in PayPal gift cards. Swagbucks is not supposed to be used for your main income, rather a bonus for a little bit of work. Getting money for sitting in my pyjamas on my laptop? Yes, please!

• Kyle says:

3 months worth of work for £30? Do you realize how crazy this sounds? You would be better off holding a sandwich board for a local business for a couple of hours and you would earn a lot more.

I can assure you Lucy that if you are spending this amount of money online, it can be much better served applying this to creating and growing a business, something that I can absolutely help you out with. Head over the Getting Started section on my site here, I will show you how to get up and running online for not cost and will walk you through the process of creating a REAL business online.

7. Carrie Mitchell says:

I make anywhere from $2.50 – $6 Per DAY on this site, and many people make more! I only spend a couple hours a day actually working on the site. It’s well worth my time. It paid for my Children’s Christmas last year, and pays several of my bills. Searching is a small part of earning on the site, and, no, I don’t spend money to get Swagbucks, unless it’s something I normally buy anyway like diapers.

• Kyle says:

So you are working for $1 per hour. I am not sure how this make sense, although that yes, I am not sure how earning $1 per hour is anything to write home about. You would earn 8x what you are earning now if you went to your local fast food joint and got a job there. Just saying.

8. Jared McMahon (JaredM on WA) says:

Great review! I learned soon after I joined Swagbucks that is was good to make a few bucks a week to just search. When I first joined, I was Swagbucks hungry and did a survey for 60SB. Then I realized that 1SB pretty much equals 1 cent. I did a 30 minute survey for 60 cents. That’s an $11.30 pay decrease from what I make at my retail job.

Lately I don’t mind using Swagbucks to do searches for school and when I’m messing around, but I don’t consider it a supplement for my income. I do recommend purchasing a domain from Godaddy through SB because I purchase a $5 domain and earned 1,100SB! 11 bucks for a gift card making a purchase I was already going to make. Not bad.

Thanks for the great post, Kyle!

• Kyle says:

Jared, I hear you. Lots of folks don’t actually do what you have done and break it down into what they are really earning. They just see swagbucks and get excited when in reality they are working for pennies. You are also doing mindless work within a company that is preying on the idea that people would rather do something for free and earn pennies then pay and really do something of substance.

I am glad you came to your senses before you invested too much time into this. There are real opportunities online for those that are willing to work for it and I would be more than happy to help you out if you ever need a hand getting up and running. Just hit me up within WA!

9. Tony B says:

Great review of Swagbucks and yes I do have a “membership” if you can call it that.

I’ve heard of folks earning with Swagbucks but it’s a long term thing, they can pull about $100 of swag in 12 months. Yep it’s legit enough but it’s a bolt on, for someone who wants to make money d=from home, it’s not a way to.. does that make sense?

As you say the searches would be a great way to earn swag, but hit and miss at the best. I son got fed-up with it and mow it’s an ancient account that I really should take a look at .. 2 secs..

OK back :) I have 52 Swagbucks May have to get my head around how I can make it work .. maybe I’ll install the toolbar on my daughters PC :)

Cheers for the share

• Kyle says:

You can either work for fractions of a penny, or you can work for dollars within the online world. Time can be invested much better than using platforms like Swagbucks and if you are willing to put forth the effort (as you know), the time/value of other opportunities is much better. Work for dollars and work on a business that will grow your success cumulatively, not one that pays you pennies for performing certain actions.

• Peter says:

You are quite right about Swagbucks … you can earn a few Swagbucks. But it is GLACIALLY slow. It is far better to put the time into something else that may earn a few dollars, than in this that earns fractions of pennies.

• Kyle says:

Yeah, I am an advocate of working for dollars not pennies! There are many ways you can create a business online and Swagbucks is definitely not one of these. If you like working for $1 per hour, this may be the program. LOL.

• aliie shantee says:

Hi there read your post and you’ve got me curious… how can you LEGITIMATELY make more money online with NO out of pocket expense…I really do not have ANY money to put in to anything. lol Thanx

• Kyle says:

It starts with a website. There are several places you can get a website up and running for free online and this is going to serve as the foundation for your business. If you want help getting started on a limited budget, I would suggest you check out my getting started page here as it will walk you through the process of getting up and running online with a bootstrap budget.