What is your goal when you create content online? Is it simply to get ranked or is it to get ranked within the top page in Google? And if you do get ranked in the top page of Google, how much traffic will I get if I rank #1 in Google…what about #2 or #3?
Today I would like to walk you through some of these numbers and also help you decide what your “content” agenda should be if you want to capture those top rankings and how you should approach SEO if you want to get the most traffic as possible.
First, let’s break down some of the numbers…
What Percentage of Google Traffic Makes it Beyond the 1st Page?
When you are creating content for Google, your ultimate goal is to get good rankings right? If you understand how to create content properly for search engines and the correct type of keywords to focus on within that content, this is actually not that hard.
Below is a chart (based on Chitika data) breaking down the click-through percentages (by Page) in Google.
As you can see from the graph above, getting ranked on the top page in Google is a big deal. In fact, 91.5% of all Google searches END on the first page, less than 8.5 percent navigate beyond this page.
If you rank on the 2nd page you are going to experience less than 1/20th of the traffic you could expect from a first page listing. Only 1 out of every 1,000 searches leads to someone clicking through the 7th page.
What do you take from this? I know what I think when I see these sorts of numbers. I want a 1st page ranking in Google if I am going to be creating content. But, ideally I want to also be within the top 3 searches and I am going to tell you why…
The Top 3 Positions in Google – By the Numbers
Your goal as a search engine marketer should be to get rankings on the 1st page of Google, but sometimes that is not enough to realize a decent amount of traffic. The top 3 positions in Google get over 60% of all the click-throughs (on average) and the remaining 40% are distributed between the remaining 6 results (and all of the other pages).
Here is a graph breaking down what sort of “expectations” you can have within any given position on the first page of Google.
As you can see, the Top 3 positions get 61% of ALL search traffic. Here is a break down of the search positions:
Position #1: 32.5%
Position #2: 17.5%
Position #3: 11%
And then by position 5, these traffic numbers really start to drop, dipping below the 5% level.
In a hypothetical scenario, if you were targeting a search term that got 100 searches per day and you held the #1 ranking in Google, you could expect 32.5 click-throughs to your website….and depending on the title of your search result, this number can deviate either up or down (I have seen captivating page titles get up to 70% click-through rates).
All in all, what does this mean to you and your online business?
If you don’t understand how search engines algorithms work and how to get rankings in Google, then you are not going to be getting much traffic. No traffic means no opportunity to earn revenue from your websites, so this is a mission critical.
(1) You need to learn how to get #1 rankings in Google. I recommend to you that you get some good SEO training and you learn how to properly build out your websites in a way that lead to them getting ranked in Google and other search engines.
(2) You need a way to capture low competition keywords. Keywords are the center of the universe for a marketer and if you don’t have access to metrics like competition, then you are going to be out of luck.
(3) You need to keep up to date with search engine trends. Far too many people get “burned” by Google Panda and Penguin updates because they are not ahead of the curve. If you are still getting “backlinks”, you think PLR is a good idea, or you are spinning content, I am speaking directly to you here. If you understand why Google ranks content and what they are looking for, you are going to be “living” in the top 3 positions.
So remember, your goal as a marketer is the top 3 positions in Google…with #1 being the ultimate goal. Don’t think that all rankings on the 1st page are the same, because plain and simple there are very stark differences.
If you have any questions about “getting to page 1 in Google” or you would like to offer your insights into Google rankings, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you right away!